Updated: Mar 30
Some may wonder what process does a professional product photographers take to make commercial quality images of products that their clients sells. Whether online or print advertisement, when it comes to product photography, we want the best possible images that will help sell our goods. In this blog, we will talk about the steps needed to get commercial quality photographs.
Before looking at the process, we must first identify the use of the product photos that one sells. As a basis, we will use the product photography packages from this website to help narrow our choices.
Since there are so many different uses for a product photography image, we must first identify what platform will the product image will be used and the type of product photography image will be required. From an online store website to an e-commerce website (e.g. Amazon, Ebay, Catch.com.au), from product catalogues to product brochures, from social media (e.g. Facebook, Instagram) to print media (e.g. Magazine, Newspaper) and from store signage to billboards. Having identified where the images will be used, we now need to choose what type of product photography images will work for that platform. For example, Amazon requires product images to be captures in a pure white background unless it is a Lifestyle Product Photography image. We can go on with more example but that's for another blog.
Primarily, Irierootsini Photography has three packages that will suit all your product photography requirements. If you are looking to display your goods in an online store website or an e-commerce website, our Basic Product Package will be the ideal choice. Now, if you want product photos that includes, individual shots, group shots, detailed shots, component shots and teaser shots of several products that you sell, our Deluxe Product Package will be the obvious choice. Bear in mind that the images produced from the Deluxe Product Package will have more broad uses that includes all the above mentioned (e.g. company websites, brochures, social medias, magazines, signage, etc.). Still looking for another choice? Our Premium Product Package that is reserved for products that uses product models and for lifestyle product photography photos will fit the bill. This requires more planning and conceptualisation, which will produce the perfect image/s required that can be used to advertised your product. If you have not done so, take a look at our product photography packages in more detail to know the inclusions.
Besides from the product photography packages mentioned, a fairly new product photography service has emerged online and fascinated consumers. This website trend is called 360 degree product spin photography. This technological product photography marvel allows browsers to view what looks like a single image that is actually composed of many images. By a touch of a finger or by a click of a mouse, the product becomes interactive and allows the viewer rotate the image from left to right or right to left in 360 degrees. Now have a spin on the image below!
Try moving the product from left to right or vice versa.
If interactive is not what you are after, the images captured can also be made to a Gif File that you can used for your website or social media. Why Gif Files instead of Video one may ask? Gif files have smaller file size than video files which is better for your website. Plus it will continually play once seen on the website. Below are samples of stop animation and 180 to 360 degree Gif Files.
Depending on your requirements, products can move in different ways.
Now that you have identified the product photography service that you require, let us find out the procedure to high-grade commercial product photos. Let’s look at the step by step process that a product photography studio takes to maintain and ensure the highest quality standard are taken to produce commercial quality images.
· Provide 3 pieces of each item if possible – This will ensure that the product shoot will run smoothly and to give the product photographer a choice on which item will produce the best product photography image, thus requiring at least 3 pieces of each product to be photographed.
· Make sure items are clean - Before handing over your items to the studio, make sure it is cleaned properly. Even though your items are prep by the product studio to ensure a dust free image, it is the clients’ responsibility to provide a clean product to avoid additional charges.
STUDIO & PRODUCT STEP UP
· Studio Lights – Different products requires specific lighting setup (e.g. lights position, lights power settings, number of lights needed)
· Camera & Lens – As with lights, different products requires unique camera setting, camera angle and the appropriate camera lens to match individual products.
· Studio Settings – In addition to the lights and camera step up, the product photography studio will be prepared (e.g. backdrops, live view monitor, props, if needed)
· Product Styling – To give the product image character, items are styled, like an artist making a composition to create a masterpiece. In this case, we are creating commercial quality photograph that catches peoples’ attention. This is usually required for Deluxe and Premium Package (e.g. group shots, teaser shots, product lifestyle, products with model)
· Product Image Colour Correction – To achieve commercial quality, all images are checked for proper exposure and images are colour corrected to match the actual product sample.
Photos above shows colour correction of product label.
· Product Image Retouching - Even though the items photographed have been cleaned for dust, the images are thoroughly checked one by one for dust & scratches to get that commercial quality image standard.
Images above shows before & after photos of product image dust & scratches removal.
· Deep etching – Some prefer transparent background for their product images so that it can be readily available for background colour change with no hassle.
See how the featured product can easily change from various backgrounds.
· Image Enhancement & Manipulation – Ideal for products that have imperfections (e.g. change of product logo, product labels dot gain)
Photos above are samples of image manipulation. (Photos on the left are images before Image Manipulation)
Photos above are samples of image enhancement. (Photos on the left are original product photography images before company logo were enhanced or changed)
· Infographics – Adding information about the image/s is worth a thousand words (e.g. descriptions & dimensions, data, charts). In todays competitive online market, have more information is gold.
Above are infographics images used by clients for their Amazon page and online store websites.
From the informations above, we now know what to except from a product photography session and the meticulous process in creating commercial quality images. So the next time you require product photography, you are now well equipped with the knowledge and understanding on the high quality standards that product photography studios take to ensure commercial quality photographs are produce to help sell your products!